Pictured on the jacket are those
in attendance on Sunday,July 27, 2008, as they began to celebrate
the Centennial. Attendance that day was 214 (plus 7 dogs) and
contributions were $2,925.64. Photograph by Greg Forehand.
The author, Karen Paul Stone, has attended the Little Brown Church
from birth, and serves as Historian.
Union Chapel of Waldens
Ridge was founded in 1908 to meet the need for a summerSunday
School when the trip to Chattanooga from the mountain took four
hours. It has operated every summer since then. There is no official
membership, and it drawsworshipers from all Christian denominations
without benefit of clergy or paid staff.
Lessons are taught by lay teachers at 10:00 a.m. everySunday
from the first of June until the end of August. A child leads
the days Responsive Reading, and children take up the collection.
At the end of the service, the children also ring the bell while
the congregation sings lyrics adapted for them in 1932 by R.
H. Williams from the originalsong Little Brown Church in the
Originally several Sunday School classes met simultaneously in
the one-room Chapel. In 1937 an area was added at the rear. In
2002 the rear section of the Chapel was removed and completely
reconstructed in conformation with the preexisting design concept,
except that three rest-rooms were added. A stone patio along
the side and another in front accommodate the growing congregation
and provide handicapped access.
These projects were generously underwritten by caringChristian
individuals, and no money from Benevolenceswas diverted for the
work. One hundred percent of fundscollected each Sunday goes
to support Christian works.
Weddings are often held at The Little Brown Church, and rents
pay for all Chapel expenses.
Union Chapel welcomes all who will, of whatever age or creed,
to come and hear the Gospel of our Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ,
taught according to the Bible, Gods Holy Word.
Signal Mt., TN 37377
10:00 - 11:00AM